As someone who has seen this movie, maybe Dave could tell us whether he thinks it will still be talked about in five or ten years time?  Is it likely to spawn Avatar 2, 3, 4?   Is it even going to be as memorable as a movie like E.T. was, for example?   The thing you have to remember about Star Trek languages is that it was a long-running TV series, spawning many spin-offs, and also a movie series.   Avatar has a very long way to go to reach that level of notoriety.

From what I've seen it looks like a fairly standard sci-fi story with some good special effects, but nothing that I haven't already seen in the Star Wars prequels (the planet itself looks a lot like the Wookiee planet of Kashyyyk).   It's not enough to tempt me out to the cinema, and I can't even see myself buying it on DVD (as I plan to do with this movie: http://www.themenwhostareatgoatsmovie.com/).

Paul's attitude to movies may be rather high-brow, but I think the case for why auxlangers should take any notice of this movie has not been made.

Kordiale, James Chandler
http://interlanguages.net - IALs index
http://interlanguages.net/yindex.html - Ido index