When I heard about Interlingua I thought that was a much better
alternative than Esperanto, and I took part in discussions with
Esperantists to show the un-informed public that Interlingua was better.
The result was nill. It turned out that it was much better to talk about
Interlingua in its own right. People who don't have the necessary
language background cannot see the difference between Interlingua and
Esperanto. And for those who don't know the international vocabulary,
and those are the main target group for an International auxlang if you
ask me, cannot understand or appreciate the difference.

Another fact that talks in favour of Esperanto is that you can find
textbooks and other material in more languages. And most isn't too bad!

Another thing I have noted is that those who learn Esperanto have got to
really learn the grammar. In Interlingua you can get by with a lot of
errors, and some think that they have to tweak Interlingua into their
own mother tongues!

And a matter of fact is that I get anther response nowadays when I talk
about Esperanto than before. The Espists are coming!

Kjell R