On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM, steve rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> --- On Fri, 1/1/10, Kjell Rehnstr?öm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Then we've got to address a question
>> that I have met, especially in Esperanto environments:
>> Language 2 speakers of English are at a disadvantage in
>> relation to native speakers.
>
> If you're talking about angloclones, it depends on the design. Inlis will be easier passively for native speakers, but in active use
> the non-natives will probably do better, since they won't have the deep-seated habits to overcome.

You could be right but I have my doubts. Just to take an example, in
Tok Pisin there are some things that are clearly different from
American or British English, which might throw us off. But on the
other hand, they use a word like "bagerap" to mean break down. And for
a native speaker, it's easy to remember that this comes from "bugger
up," which we know even if we don't know it that well, while a
non-native speaker will almost certainly not know that construction.
So there are things that we might have some familiarity with. Another
thing is that it depends on whether by active use you mean perfect
use, with no errors, or understandable use. My own criterion is always
understandable use.
--
Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa (patwa.pbwiki.com)