2010/1/3 James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>:
> As someone who has seen this movie, maybe Dave could tell us whether he thinks it will still be talked about in five or ten years time?  Is it likely to spawn Avatar 2, 3, 4?   Is it even going to be as memorable as a movie like E.T. was, for example?   The thing you have to remember about Star Trek languages is that it was a long-running TV series, spawning many spin-offs, and also a movie series.   Avatar has a very long way to go to reach that level of notoriety.

In terms of notoriety, I'm pretty sure it will achieve at least Matrix
levels, another movie that came out of nowhere and now everybody
knows. Cameron has already said that there will be a sequel and it's
made the same amount in 15 days that Titanic made in 44, so I'd say it
will be ingrained in the human consciousness for at least two decades.
Star Trek...that depends on where Star Trek is going. I enjoyed the
new movie but it didn't really contribute much to the canon and I
don't like how the Romulans (my favourite race) are portrayed now.
They always came out best in TNG.

--
http://www.pagef30.com