2010/1/2 Kjell Rehnstr?öm <[log in to unmask]>:
> <deinx nxtxr> skrev:

>>> The geeks will crack most of the grammar out of the samples even if
>>> the producer keeps it secret, because the inventor probably didn't
>>> depart much from his human linguistic background. It will be
>>> interesting to observe which kind of people will learn Na'vi,
>>> considering the themes of the story.
>>
>> I'm with Kjell on this.  It's not going to help auxlangs any more than
>> TlhIngan or Quenya will.  It may bring a few people into the art of
>> conlanging but that's about the most I'd expect.
>>
> It's of course easy to say, but anyway: The auxlangs should be where
> language communication is needed!
>
> Some of the auxlangs that I have been interested in have indeed tried to
> approach movements or organizations that have an auxlang on their agenda,
> but either they have already made their choice (like Oomoto) or are still
> looking for the ideal language (like the Baha'ís).
>
> They must do the discovery themselves.
>
> Kjell R

I think the lesson of Na'vi may end up being that in the beginning,
communication is secondary to simply having a powerful reason for
existence, some sort of mythology that people are interested in
besides just the language. Appealing to groups simply on the basis of
communication usually just leads to a Nutterist conclusion that
English is the best way to go since so many speak it anyway. Actually
the interest in Na'vi is probably a good sign for languages like
modern Indo-European and Sambahsa, since people that are interested in
a language clearly don't mind if it's more complex than your average
auxlang.

--
http://www.pagef30.com