qaa-qzz is 676 codes; the current range of qaa-qtz is 520 codes.
That's a significant reduction (almost 25%), but I wouldn't say it's
dramatic enough to change mnemonic strategies.

I imagine the change was done to free up qu* for natlangs, since
that's a possible start of a language's English name...

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 13:34, Thomas Thurman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On a related topic, is anyone organising a registry of the ISO 639 private use area for conlangs, as the CSUR is doing with Unicode for conscripts?
>
> I'm sure I've seen such a thing, but I can't find it right now.
>
> If I remember correctly, the first revision of the list had more
> mnemonic abbreviations because the private use area was (IIRC) qaa -
> qzz, while with the now-much-smaller private use area, the
> abbreviations had to become less descriptive.
>
> Cheers,
> Philip
> --
> Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>