Thomas Thurman skrev:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:29:27AM +0100, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:
>> Just FYI the ISO 639 code qny is, sensibly, already
>> widely used for Quenya.
>
> Thanks for letting me know.  That's a rather strange thing to do, because Quenya already has a perfectly good ISO 639 code, "qya", outside the
> private use area:
>
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=qya

Really?  Perhaps I'm being dyslexic again.

> On a related topic, is anyone organising a registry of the ISO 639 private use area for conlangs, as the CSUR is doing with Unicode for conscripts?

We ought to.  Would it be hard to set up?  The main use I've
seen for such codes so far was in HTML lang attributes, were
their main rationale is apparently has to do with getting the
right pronunciation with text-to-speech rendering.
What I *really* would like to have is an HTML attribute
pronunciation' taking an IPA string as value.
There's no hope in the universe there will ever be dedicated
text-to-speech engines for conlangs, let alone all natlangs,
so an IPA-to-speech renderer for small pieces of text would
be a good thing to have.

/BP