I'd always taken "se preparer" to mean 'prepare oneself...' in the sense of
'prepare yourself for bad news' rather than preparing food.
'I prepare myself a fruit salad' = je prepare une salade de fruit pour moi.
C'est courant??
Mike

Although "I create a fruit salad for myself" _is_ reciprocal in French: "Je
me fait/prépare une salade de fruit".

I admit I formally know little on the subject and might be erroneously
conflating pronominals and reflexives... When a L1 French teacher talks
about pronominals, it's rarely for other reasons than detailing yet another
rule about whether or not passive participles must (silently) agree in
gender and number with something.