Resurrecting this thread because I am perpetually confused about
perfect vs. perfective.  Studying Russian in college did not help
sort it out, at least not enough.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 04:49:43PM +0000, R A Brown wrote:

> Do you, perhaps, mean _perfect_ (expressing a state
> resulting from a earlier event)? This might well contrast
> with continuous. I would expect perfective to contrast with
> imperfective (making reference to the internal structure of
> the activity expressed by the verb).

My question is, is there ever such a thing as the perfective
continuous?  Examples please?  Russian punts and only differentiates
perfective/imperfective in past tense, using the nonpast perfective
form for the future, so I feel I learned a somewhat defective
paradigm in my only experience with perfective/imperfective!

tylakhlp'f,
Amanda