It looks like they've implemented ruby annotations in the latest
builds of WebKit (the rendering engine behind Safari and Chrome).

http://webkit.org/blog/948/ruby-rendering-in-webkit/

I'm not too familiar with the WebKit development process so I'm not
sure when we'll see this in the Safari update but it shouldn't be too
long. I suspect it might take a while to work its way into Chrome
though.

In case you aren't familiar with what a ruby is
"A ruby annotation is a short piece of text in smaller font, written
directly above or below or  with vertical text  to either side of
the base text. It is most often used in East Asian typography in order
to provide further information. Most commonly it shows the
pronounciation of Chinese characters. Another use case is in text
books, to give the foreign spelling of a native word, or vice versa.
In literary text or Manga ruby is also sometimes used to specify a
variant pronunciation of the underlying characters, to add some depth
or twist to the normal understanding. However, there is no reason to
limit ruby to East Asian text. It can also be applied to other
languages for much the same purpose: to specify annotations or give
further context."

-Kate