It means both, depending on whether the following object is direct or indirect.

Direct object: "Je me prépare une salade fruit" = I prepare a fruit salad for myself.

Indirect object: "Je me prépare à la fête" = I prepare myself for the party.

(similarily for a verbal phrase preceded by "à": "je me prépare à courir" = I prepare myself to run)

Object-less versions may also have the figurative sense of growing, developping, commencing: "un orage se prépare" = A thunderstorm is about to begin.