--- In [log in to unmask], Jens Wilkinson <jenswilkinson@...> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:
>

> > There is still a big difference because "look" and "listen" specifically
> > involve a focus of attention on a sight or sound.  Maybe there could be a
> > word simply for the act of mental focus that covers all of these without
> > linking it to particular sense.
> >

> I know there's a difference, but don't understand why it's important
> to express that difference. Is there ever really a need to distinguish
> between concentrated looking versus passive seeing?

Yes there is. Often I am looking wihout seeing, although sometimes I see even without looking. How will you translate this sentence if you have only one verb?

For a long time we in LdP had only "audi", both for hear and listen. It's still there, but also a more specific verb "slu" has appeared, for cases when attentive listening is involved, for example medical auscultation or when a beast listens to noises of the forest, trying to hear something.

Dmitry