On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM, lingwadeplaneta
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yes there is. Often I am looking wihout seeing, although sometimes I see even without looking. How will you translate this sentence if you have only one verb?
>
> For a long time we in LdP had only "audi", both for hear and listen. It's still there, but also a more specific verb "slu" has appeared, for cases when attentive listening is involved, for example medical auscultation or when a beast listens to noises of the forest, trying to hear something.

I admit it's a bit tricky. Since Japanese doesn't have two words, the
sentence would also require some circumlocution. So I would suggest
something like this in Neo Patwa:

Tokitoki, mi nuli gani, lekin no sabe gani. Tokitoki, mi no nuli gani,
lekin sabe gani.

Literally, it means:

Sometimes, I try see, but no can see. Sometimes, I no try see, but can see.

I admit it's a bit clumsy, but I think it can work. Incidentally, it
appears even clumsier in Japanese, a living language, though of course
to Japanese speakers it isn't clumsy at all.

--
Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa (patwa.pbwiki.com)