I posted (although it seems not to have taken!) the following to the Novial discussion group. It may be of interest to this group as well. Please note that since then I have added the rest of the A-P part and begun on the Q-Y part; up to R has been posted as of this moment.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bruce R. Gilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM
Subject: NL online
To: [log in to unmask]

Some time ago I noted that Don Blaheta's online version of the NL had some problems: with some web browsers, the accented letters turned into Chinese characters, and there are a few typos which, since Don is no longer actively involved, won't get fixed. At the time I proposed to mae a leaned up copy, and I did so as a set of Google documents, made public so anyone could access it. At the time someonr told me they had already done the latter part of the alphabet, and suggested I just do A-to-P.

I don't know what happened to the Q-to-Y part, but I think it would be better to have the whole dictionary in one place, so I intend to complete it now. I also intend to do some further transformations to remedy two problems with the NL as originally designed:
  1. The very abbreviated format makes automated searching difficult. This may have been necessary in 1930 to keep the publishing coat down (and with no computers and search engines in the world!) but it needs to be remedied now.
  2. The dictionary only works in one direction: Novial to English/French/German. This means that to go the other way one needs to do a search to find the English (say) and find the page that has it. And coupled with the previous point, this can be an impossible task.
At first I will have only the NL in the original form, but the other files to remedy these problems will follow. I have started with Don's pages, and A to P (as I said) were put up as Google docs that were publicly accessible. (The rest are already in Google doc form, but not accessible.) I spent a lot of time on a-to-P getting the format right, but in the process I introduced some typographical errors, and I'm now fixing these, as far as I can spot them.

I have now relocated the site, taking it out of Google document form so I have a bit more control of the HTML. The online NL is now available on my ViewsOfLanguage site -- so far only partially, but with the rest to come:

A through L is currently available: The dictionary can be reached at http://ViewsOfLanguage.host56.com/novial/lexike/ and specific letters can be reached at (e. g.) http://ViewsOfLanguage.host56.com/novial/lexike/a.html .

M through P will be up soom. I am checking for typos, and witthin a day or so they should be ready.

Q through Y will require more time. I need to fix up the formatting, as this was not done in the Google docs.  They will be put up as I finish.

You are invited to look at what is there now, and if you spot any typos I missed, please let me know! I know I'm not perfect.

--

                                                                    Bruce R. Gilson

                                                                    Bruce R. Gilson