On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> If you want a couple of interesting sub-fields you might Google
> <statistical chunking>, or <statistical tagging> (or <statistical tagger>)

Excellent. A couple of preliminary searches turned up some interesting
articles. Finding the right term to search for seems to be half my
battle lately. :)

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I came across http://www.nltk.org/book one day and it seems like a fairly good
> applications-focused treatment of
> the rudiments of NLP.  Won't be as statistical as the Manning-Schuetze book though.

Looks good. Will be a helpful guide (statistical centric or not) to
applying the conceptual stuff I'm reading elsewhere (even if the
concepts don't actually line up). I find I have to come up  with some
"experiments" help me clarify. :)

Thanks for your help, Gary & Alex.

Iain