On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> You want a small enough overlap that people don't get
>> bored or distracted waiting for their turn, but large enough that the
>> story doesn't degenerate into total nonsense too quickly.
>
> I don't think boredom is an issue (except to the extent that some
> people are slower than others),

I was thinking in terms of the live party-game version.  Games where
one person's turn takes a long time + a significant number of players
==  games where a long time passes between any given person's turns ==
tendency to boredom or distraction.   In an email game, that's not an
issue.

> because you can just parallelize
> several rounds.

But that is a very good idea too.

> To me the issue w/ larger prompts is just that people
> will perceive it as hard to do, where more bite-sized chunks are
> easier.

True.

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM, John Lategan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I also thought of doing an email one, but couldnt think how we would
>> 'hide' the prev entries that arent meant to be seen?
>
> Same way as one does for Relays - send the correct info only to the
> next person, the full info to a moderator, nothing publicly.

And the moderator could also be a participant, if they have a separate
relay torch email address at which to receive the copies of other
people's turns and not look at said emails until the game is over.

> But I think there are
> conlanger-specific versions that could also be fun for us, given that
> we *can* make higher requirements of players' skillsets.

What about a Kalusa or Madjal kind of thing, where each turn consists
of several conlang sentences plus smooth English translations thereof,
the sentences forming parts of a semicoherent story and the corpus of
a semicoherent conlang without explicit lexicon or grammar?

And, in doing multiple rounds, maybe we should alter the orders of
people's turns on each round -- permute the list of players each round
-- so everyone follows and precedes everyone else sooner or later.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/