On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 02:33, Karen Badham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Has anyone created a syllabary type of font before. I have been trying to
> create one, but keep reaching dead ends. I want for example to type "ka" and
> come up with that syllable's symbol. I've typed in Chinese and Japanese
> before, so I'm familiar with typing for languages that don't necessarily
> have a one to one relationship with letters, but I can't seem to create a
> font for it.

Those languages typically use an IME (Input Method Editor?) -- you
don't type "k" and "a" and represent those letters with a specific
font; instead, the IME accepts the letters "k" and "a" and looks up
the combination in a table, then emits the hiragana or katakana
character "ka", which is then displayed in whatever font you had
selected.

The IME is also necessary for selecting characters from a list, though
you won't need that bit. (But that should show that it's more than
just a font matter, otherwise if you type e.g. "seikou", how would the
font know whether you meant "exquisite", "sexual intercourse", "steel
manufacture", "crude, immature, unpolished", "(electron) hole", or any
of the other words pronounced that way?)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>