Philip Newton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:51, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[snip]
>> Latin to Romansch sound changes might be OK - tho clearly there'd have be
>> some modification as the phonology of ancient & Koine Greek was somewhat
>> different from that of Latin. One major difference was the existence of
>> _two_ series voiceless plosives in Greek, aspirated & unaspirated, while
>> Latin had only one.
>
> Very true. I've got some ideas what to do with the voiceless aspirated
> series, but nothing final yet. (Except that p_h will most likely end
> up as [f].)

Actually, I realize I've slipped up here! On the TAKE home
page I wrote:
"Assumptions made about the Greek of WHATL
- That itacism did not become universal; that, in fact, in
Vulgar Greek eta was pronounced [e:] as its reflexes in the
modern Hellenic languages of south-western Europe clearly show.
- That upsilon remained [y] in most areas in the Vulgar
Greek period.
- While there is evidence of monophthongization of the
diphthongs ending in iota during the Vulgar Greek period,
the diphthongs in upsilon clearly remained, the second
element retaining high back rounded sound, until the
development of the early Hellenic languages, as their
treatment in the different languages shows.
- That aspiration of vowels was lost completely in Vulgar
Greek (as indeed it was in our world in both Vulgar Latin
and Byzantine Greek) and, at the same time, the aspirated
plosives became fricatives.
- That although there was a tendency for intervocalic voiced
plosives to be fricativized, the plosive pronunciation was
retained in initial positions throughout the Vulgar Greek
period and, indeed, into the Hellenic languages of
south-western Europe.
- That (just as in our world) the old pitch accent gave way
to one of stress on the same syllable as the pitch accent
had been. This led to the breakdown of phonemic contrast of
long and short vowels.

I.e. in WHATL even Vulgar Greek had only one set of
voiceless plosives, the earlier aspirated ones having
already become /f/, /θ/ and /x/. While Latin *here* had /f/,
it had no /θ/ or /x/ - so what calls for imagination is how
/θ/ or /x/ would've have mapped into the Hellenic langs.

>> Syntax is probably not a great problem but applying Latin to Romansch
>> morphology change to Greek is IMO not the best idea  ;)
>
> Well, the main change I had in mind was "reduced nominal inflection",
> with just a singular/plural system much like English (or, well,
> Romansh), possibly with a nominative/oblique stage along the way (like
> French or older Romansh); not specific morphological changes.

I see. Yes, the old dative would almost certainly have gone
everywhere (as it has gone in modern Greek) and it's no
exactly difficult to see why nominatives & accusatives might
not have remained distinct.  But I have a gut feeling that
the genitive might have held out till modern times in many
(all? most?) areas of 'western Hellenism.'

[snip]
>> No - it is not thought that Latin _picked up_ the genitive -i: from Celtic.
>> The genitive -i: is one of several isoglosses found in both Celtic and
>> _Italic_ (not just Latin) languages which have led some to postulate a
>> common Celto-Italic proto-language (within the IE family, of course).
>
> Ah, OK. So that wouldn't work (unless there were a
> proto-Celto-Hellenic in WHATL...). It was just an idea anyway.

No, no - not a proto-Celtic-Hellenic in _my_ WHATL. I assume
that in both WHAT & *here* ancient Greek was ancient Greek -
there no divergence until the Vulgar Greek of the Hellenic
Empire.

BTW I've made slight changes in the TAKE pages. On the
'Time' page the reference to Pope Gregorios XIII has been
removed. Because of the importance of Easter and the use of
the Spring Equinox in determining the date of Easter, I'm
sure a change analogous to that of Gregory XIII would have
occurred at some time.  But if there'd been no division
between Greek & Latin Christianity, it is not unlikely that
the change might have been effected earlier.

One the TAKE home page I merely say now:
"I have no intention of developing any more detailed
alternative history than that which I have outlined above
and on the 'Time' page in reference to the calendar. There
would, of course, in WHATL be no Latin and therefore no
Romance languages and, what is important for this project,
no Latin alphabet."

--
Ray