R A Brown wrote:

> quoting Philip Newton:
> > 2010/3/19 Lars Finsen <[log in to unmask]>:
> >> Den 19. mar. 2010 kl. 22.44 skreiv Philip Newton:

> imagine
> >> Does this apply in Scotland as well?
> >
> > Ah, I have no idea. Might be an English rather than British
> thing, or
> > possibly even limited to parts of England.
>
> Nope - not just limited to parts of England.  It's general
> throughout the whole United Kingdom  - tho some local variation may
> be found in a few areas.
> See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Street

Well, according to the article, "Main Street" actually is the more
common in smaller Scottish towns and villages. Glasgow though seems
to have several both Main and High streets according to my old
tourist map, possibly through the incorporation of several other
smaller towns and villages, while Edinburgh has one Main and one High
Street, with the High more centrally placed.

Not sure what implications this has for the Byntic part of Uriania,
but I guess they will have more Main than High streets there, too.

As a Norwegian this naming standard for main streets is unfamiliar to
me, but that's probably because we have so many topographic features
from which to name our streets in this country. Or because it became
a habit to name our streets from royalty. Both of these traditions
will have taken hold in the part of Uriania that was ruled from
Denmark, I guess. There are regions in the country that have a lot of
topography, but there are flatter regions, too, and this difference
will have an effect on street naming.

LEF