On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:26:47 -0400, Amanda Babcock Furrow
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My Lincom books came yesterday!  I got Edward Vajda's description of Ket
>(the last surviving Yeniseian language, in Siberia) ....
>
>So far I've learned that Ket verb strategies for marking subject-object
>coordination are "an idiosyncracy of each stem".  I.e., it depends on
>the verb stem whether marking is nominative-accusative, ergative-
>absolutive... or one of several other flavors.

Not to rain on the parade, but is Ket still spoken? Or did he depend on some
"last living speaker", perhaps some 90year old (with no teeth? it could
happen)?  In that case these verbal oddities might just be poor/mixed-up
memory. (Though actually, such a system as you mention doesn't seem all that
impossible....)