On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:36, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Remember, this is with a computer from
> around 1998. Modern computers are much faster and quieter

Quieter in some ways but louder in others -- back then, disk usage
noise was pretty predictable, correlated strongly to what you were
doing; these days, you have all sorts of stuff accessing the disk
(disk indexing, various background services, paging to and from swap
for said background services, etc.) so I imagine it would be quite a
bit hard to interpret disk noise.

Similarly, seeing the disk activity LED light up unexpectedly used to
be a good sign of a virus; now, it's useless for that. (Unless your
definition of "unexpected" is a lot closer to your computer's.)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>