Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
> On 30 March 2010 23:03, Douglas Koller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> It's interesting that I saw a lizard, monitor in form, but with a tongue
>> like a chameleon.
>>
>> Me, I saw Greeks and/or Turks, which I suppose could be expanded to
>> "foreigner", "alien", "outsider", "barbarian"?
>>

> While I can understand Turkish, and the Basque idea made sense, I can't
> understand thinking it could be Greek.

Nor could I.

> As far as I know, Greek (even
> ancient) has no native words ending in -κ (roots can, but not surface forms.
> For instance, the word "raven" in Ancient Greek has the root κόρακ-.
> However, that -κ never surfaces at the end of the word. Even the nominative
> is κόραξ).

This is correct. In ancient Greek the only consonants found
at end of words were -r, -n and -s (including -ks and -ps).
  εκ (out of) and ουκ (not) may appear to be exceptions, but
they were always _proclitic_ (i.e. the first part of a
phonological word).

[snip]
> word would look Greek only if it ended in -os or -ma, or had an obviously
> Greek onset like pt- or kt- (of cht-). What made you feel like it could have
> been a Greek word?

What indeed?

With umlauts on the Os, the word could, I guess, pass for
Hungarian (vowel harmony would demand the umlauts as,
indeed, it would surely do in Turkish).

--
Ray