On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:16:50 +0100, R A Brown wrote:
>Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
>> As far as I know, Greek (even
>> ancient) has no native words ending in -κ (roots can, but not surface forms.
>> For instance, the word "raven" in Ancient Greek has the root κόρακ-.
>> However, that -κ never surfaces at the end of the word. Even the nominative
>> is κόραξ).
>
>This is correct. In ancient Greek the only consonants found
>at end of words were -r, -n and -s (including -ks and -ps).

As an aside, this is a quite fascinating state of affairs - that certain
consonant phonemes only can occur word-finally when succeeded by *another*
consonant. I can't quite think of other examples; perhaps [N] in languages
that allow [Nk#] but do not have it as a separate phoneme is the closest

>With umlauts on the Os, the word could, I guess, pass for
>Hungarian (vowel harmony would demand the umlauts as,
>indeed, it would surely do in Turkish).
>
>--
>Ray

Anythink "gök", "egörigök" would certainly bring Turkic in mind. Hungarian
tends to not even mix rounding that liberally (or so I think).

John Vertical