----- "The Benevolent Dictator" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Recently I noticed a pronunciation difference between -_en_ in the
> ending -_chen_ and anywhere else in German. Up to then, I had thought
> final -_en_ would be phonemically [log in to unmask] (. marks a syllable break),
> which would universally be phonetic -[n=].

> But it seems that the derivational ending -_chen_ behaves differently.
> I caught myself consistently pronouncing -[C@n] instead of -[Cn=].
> I asked a few other people and they did the same. Which could mean that
> we need to distinguish phonemic -/@n/ and -/n=/.
>
> Some minimal pairs for testing (there aren't too many, that's why the
> examples are kind of strange):
>
> Reihchen vs. reichen ('small row/queue' vs. 'to reach/pass/surfice; rich')
>
> As I said, I thought the two'd both be:
>
> /'RaI)C@n/
>
> But I pronounce them differently:
>
> ['RaI)C@n] vs. ['RaI)Cn=]
>
> (There is no secondary stress in -_chen_, which is often cited as a
> cause for phonetic phenomena in German (/@/ is not found in any
> stressed syllable in German).) Maybe we need the morphological
> break in the phonemic transcription?
>
> /'RaI)#C@n/ vs. /'RaI)C#@n/ ?
>
> Another one:
>
> Fellchen vs. Felchen ('small fur' vs. '{kind of fisch}')
>
> ['fElC@n] vs ['fElCn=]
>
> Those are the only minimal pairs I found. There are more words in
> -_chen_ that are not diminutives and consistently get -[n=]
>
> Kirchen 'churches' (nom.pl.) ['k_hI6)Cn=]
> Brüchen 'breaks/fractions' (dat.pl.) ['bRYCn=]
> Speichen 'spokes' (nom.pl.) ['SpaI)Cn=]
> brechen 'to break' ['bRECn=]
> laichen 'to spawn' ['laI)Cn=]

> Tierchen 'small animal' ['t_hi:6C@n]
> Küßchen 'small kiss' ['k_hYsC@n]

Another thought: I'm not a native speaker, obviously, but when I've heard German speakers emphasize or speak slowly, the diminutive manifests itself as /-CEn/, not so much with verbs (well, maybe in singing). I can conceptualize "Kirchen" as /kirCEn/ but "brechen" as /brECEn/ seems more than a bit forced. The two cents of the non-native.

Kou