On 30 March 2010 23:03, Douglas Koller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > It's interesting that I saw a lizard, monitor in form, but with a tongue
> like a chameleon.
>
> Me, I saw Greeks and/or Turks, which I suppose could be expanded to
> "foreigner", "alien", "outsider", "barbarian"?

While I can understand Turkish, and the Basque idea made sense, I can't
understand thinking it could be Greek. As far as I know, Greek (even
ancient) has no native words ending in -κ (roots can, but not surface forms.
For instance, the word "raven" in Ancient Greek has the root κόρακ-.
However, that -κ never surfaces at the end of the word. Even the nominative
is κόραξ). The few words I can think of in Modern Greek that end in that
consonant are all obvious loans (like ροκ: rock'n'roll).

So I don't get what makes you think that word looks Greek. To me, a nonce
word would look Greek only if it ended in -os or -ma, or had an obviously
Greek onset like pt- or kt- (of cht-). What made you feel like it could have
been a Greek word?
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/