I disagree.  We design our protocols to fit 80% of the patients with a
specific condition.  It helps with teamwork because the nurses know what
to expect rather than dealing with 20 different doctors doing things 30
different ways. In teamwork lingo, this fosters a shared mental model. It
helps the physician with cognitive overload so we can focus on more
important things than trying to remember,  for example,  how our
Endocrinologists like their insulin dosed. Standardization also reduces
errors and inefficiency and improves adherence to evidence -based
treatment.

Fergus Thornton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm against most protocols.  In an effort to encompass all like
situations, they really fit none specifically.  If you're an ED MD then
you should be able to think your way thru a problem, specifically that
problem and not depend on a cookbook.  My experience with giving nurses
any protocols like you've mentioned have all had problems.  I agree with
your committee.