-----Original Message-----
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Givens, Timothy
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Use of protocols & pathways in the ED

For the group:

Have any of you encountered resistance to the use/implementation of
treatment protocols in the ED?  Our hospital P&T committee recently
placed a moratorium on the approval of new or revised protocols
house-wide while they engage in a philosophical debate about the
appropriate use of protocols in general.  Their objection to some
recently submitted triage protocols (decadron for croupers, zofran for
vomiting patients, etc.) was that it required nurses in triage to
diagnose and or prescribe medications, and this violated the scope of
nursing practice.  I am interested to hear what the group's opinions in
this regard are--positive and negative.  As in everything, we are trying
to balance efficiency, throughput, and patient satisfaction with safety
concerns, and I'm certain this is the crux of the issue.  What do you
think?

Tim Givens, MD
Medical Director, Pediatric Emergency Department
The Children's Hospital, Denver
Acting Section Chief, Section of Emergency Medicine
Department of Pediatrics
University of Colorado, Denver
</pre>------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------<br>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, may be legally
privileged, <br>
and for the intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying,
forwarding and <br>
distribution by any means is strictly prohibited. If received in error,
do not read but delete and e-mail confirmation to the sender. <br>

message: info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.