Follow up email noted that this event happened well after the IV was put in,  and right after IVF started infusing...pt. was not crying...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Apr 13, 2010 9:15 PM, Willwerth, Ben <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi

I would wonder about a breath holding spell. I know the kiddo would be very young for this, but I have seen it with 2 mo vaccines.

Ben Willwerth MD

former ED staff at Children's Boston, now regular old pediatrician

From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]]

Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:39 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Air Embolism?

I recently got a call from one of the Peds ED's in which I am the  medical

director for that had a 6 week old there for a routine Bili work up ( if

there is such a thing :) )...

Apparently an IV was started and almost immediately, the pt. reported to

become agitated, became hypoxic, and than had a brief seizure. The pt.

recovered shortly after bagging for a very brief time...the pt. came back to

"normal" with NL VS and neuro exam within a minute or so... O2 sat recovered

immediately, HR never dipped.

Only thing that came to my mind was an air embolism.

Any other thoughts.

Pt.s blood work was nl, a head CT showed "CSF space slightly more enlarged

on the left side, no shift, no mass effect".

Dr. Todd Zimmerman

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html=