Please circulate (apologies for cross-posting):

We're now accepting applications for two advanced TEI seminars on
manuscript encoding:

October 4-6, 2010, University at Buffalo, hosted by the Digital
Humanities Initiative.

October 20-22, 2010, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, hosted by the
Center for Digital Research in the Humanities. (This seminar was
originally to be held in July but had to be rescheduled for logistical
reasons.)

The application deadline for both seminars is June 15, 2010.
Participants will be notified by July 1.

These seminars assume a basic familiarity with TEI, and provide an
opportunity to explore manuscript encoding topics in more detail, in a
collaborative workshop setting. We will focus on the detailed
challenges of encoding manuscript materials, including editorial,
transcriptional, and interpretive issues and the methods of
representing these in TEI markup. We'll also be looking at the
recently proposed new module for genetic editing, which includes very
advanced methods of representing revision processes and editorial
analysis.

These seminars are part of a series funded by the NEH and conducted by
the Brown University Women Writers Project. They are intended to
provide a more in-depth look at specific encoding problems and topics
for people who are already involved in a text encoding project or are
in the process of planning one. Each event will include a mix of
presentations, discussion, case studies using participants' projects,
hands-on practice, and individual consultation. The seminars will be
strongly project-based: participants will present their projects to
the group, discuss specific challenges and encoding strategies,
develop encoding specifications and documentation, and create encoded
sample documents and templates. We encourage project teams and
collaborative groups to apply, although individuals are also welcome.
A basic knowledge of the TEI Guidelines and some prior experience with
text encoding will be assumed.

**Travel funding is available of up to $500 per participant.**

For more information and to apply, please visit http://www.wwp.brown.edu/encoding/seminars/
.

The rest of the seminar schedule is as follows:

University of Maryland
January 2011 (precise date TBA)
Application deadline: September  6, 2010
This workshop will focus on the encoding of contextual information.

Brown University
Hosted by the Center for Digital Scholarship
April 28-30, 2011
Application deadline: December 1, 2010
This workshop will focus on the encoding of contextual information.

Best wishes, Julia

Julia Flanders
Director, Women Writers Project
Brown University