I think I'd second Sebastian's comments in the sense that I think I'd
misunderstood your plan: I thought you were going through TEI for print
production, in which case the advantages of getting out of insight into
a structural language are more difficult to see--so not uncertainty
about the advantages, but rather an honesty about the cost/benefits.

I'd say given these goals that one relatively easy way of doing this
might be to export via the native XML export utility and then XSLT it
into some kind of basic TEI. When I have smaller documents with a very
clear structure that I want to XML, I sometimes hire a student to just
lay the structural code over a plain text version of the document while
looking at the PDF formatted version. I.e. I train them to read the PDF
version, and mark all the paragraphs with <p>, titles with <head>, etc.
We then slap a teiheader on it, do any remaining cleaning up, and then
have a nice basic structural text that we can enrich with more
complicated meta data or semantic markup.

A third option (hopefully no more than a week or so away) is to take
advantage of the TEI's upcoming membership benefit: AccessTEI. This is a
programme that will allow members of the TEI to submit jobs for manual,
double entry keying from a preferred vendor (Apex Covantage) using an
online portal and a standard contract. The portal is in Beta testing
right now and the training has occurred for the keyboarders. we are
waiting for the last bugs to come out of the portal before launching.

Material from the AccessTEI programme are delivered in TEI Tite, a
special customisation that is geared to capturing the core structural
data of a document (paragraph division, milestones, font changes, etc.).
It is pretty useful for this kind of work even outside the AccessTEI
programme, though it uses some short hands and has other aspects that
you'd want to convert to regular TEI after you were finished the basic
encoding.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidential)