On 4 May 2010 12:25, Eugene Oh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 2010/5/4 R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>
>

> >> I'm not sure if
> >>
> >> Juna beletan amindumas.
> >>
> >> would work, however, and I'm not sure why it seems less
> >> well-formed than the previous two sentences.
> >>

> > Because, I think, we don't know what the adjectives refer to.  I dare
> say,
> > one could contrive a context in which such a sentence might be
> acceptable,
> > but I think it would still feel awkward.
> >

> Might the sentence not be parsed to mean "a" youngster and "a" pretty
> person? I'm not the most proficient Esperantist so this is just my
> interpretation of the sentence.

If one wanted to mean that, they'd probably rather use the terms "junulo":
youngster and "beletulo": pretty person (-ul- is the personifying suffix).
Given Esperantists' propensity to actively use the various productive
suffixes the language offers, I'd expect that rather than just using the
adjectives without article. The sentence:

Junulo beletulon amindumas.

even with its marked word order, is at least completely well-formed and
immediately understandable, and actually nothing very special at all.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/