On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thinks: Do you require -ul- if you also have -ino? Or am I being misled by
> Ido?

"-in" can suffix to roots signifying persons (mostly masculine kinship
terms), not only to noun stems formed with an adjective root plus
"-ul"; but you can't just tack "-in" onto an adjective stem, you need
"-ul" as well.  I.e., "junulino" or "belulino" not *"junino" or
*"belino".

Though I think I've seen someone -- the translator of the Strugatsky
brothers' novels, I think, but I can't recall his name -- use "-in"
with adjectives to form adjectives signifying "having such a quality
in a specially feminine form".  I can't recall specific examples, but
"belina" would be the sort of word I'm talking about, though not, I
think, one of the specific coinages this translator used.  They also
used the feminine affectionate suffix "-nj", normally used only with
proper names and feminine kinship terms, with adjectives and with
common nouns other than kinship terms, IIRC.  Those seem to me the
sort of innovations which aren't contrary to the spirit of the
language and are not unlikely to catch on, though I wouldn't advise a
student of E-o to use them in non-literary contexts at this point.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/