On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Peter Bleackley
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> staving Andreas Johansson:
>

>> Tangential, but I was long ago told - by a teacher no less - that
>> English has no unified word for "sibling", but only "brother" and
>> "sister".
>>

> Obviously not true, but "sibling" is a relatively infrequently used term.
> When discussing my family, I'd be much more likely to talk about "my
> brothers and sisters" than "my siblings".

The immediate consequence of being told it was me translating Sw.
_syskon_ as "brothers or sisters", which probably made for natural
English than what "siblings" would have done, so I've in retrospect
wondered if it was deliberate economy with the truth for a pedagogical
purpose. Not a sort of pedagogy I'd approve of, if so, but one can see
why someone might think it a good idea.

--
Andreas Johansson