----- "Roger Mills" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 2010 21:47:54 -0500, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

> >Final glottal stop for /t/ does, to some extent. In my speech I think it's
> mostly an allegro phenomenon, but I'm not sure.

> I think it's quite common, but esp. in allegro.

In my idiolect, certainly in allegro speech, final "p", "t", and "k", don't appear as glottal stops. The tongue is in the appropriate POA, but the plosive release of air doesn't occur. To my delight, as I was learning Cantonese, it works the same way. So, "kap" sounds like "cup", "git" sounds like "git" (which in American is more often used for "Scram!" than "idiot") and "lak" sounds like "luck". I was so thrilled!

That said, those syllables in Shanghainese reduce those endings (Taiwanese straddles the fence) to the glottal stop. Beware English speakers, by your great grand-childrens' time, it will be a fixture. :)

Kou