R A Brown, On 01/05/2010 16:32:
> juna beletan amindumas fraulinon viro
> "The young man woos the pretty young_lady"
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Are such words orders ever encountered in Esperanto verse? (I don't
> imagine such things would occur in prose)

Good question. One would, I think, predict that such an order would not occur in well-formed Esperanto, since afaik no living languages of Europe allow it, and mere freedom of constituent order would not predict the acceptability of such an order.

(In saying this, I assume we are treating these adjectives as NP-internal, and not the sort of controlled adjuncts one gets in:
   "Randy and importunate, he wooed her drunk"
where "randy and importunate" and "drunk" are predicated of "he" and "her" respectively, but are not NP-internal. If Esperanto has this construction, then we might expect "Randy and importunate, drunk, wooed her he" to be okay.)

> 2. Are there conlangs in which such word orders may and do occur?

The unpublished (and radically unfinished) conlang Livagian would allow any of the 720 orders. Also, sentences have hierarchical binary-branching structure, and for these sentences any such structure would do. How many binary branching trees with n terminal nodes are there? At any rate, that number, for n=6, multiplied by 720 would give the number of semantically-equivalent sentences. The logical form is "x is young and y is pretty and x woos y and y is young lady and x is man", and the 'x' and 'y' bits are encoded inflectionally, as is the hierarchical structure, so it's probably intuitively fairly obvious how come all possible orderings and bracketings work.

--And.