On May 2, 2010, at 11◊37 AM, Gary Shannon wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed; Klingonaase was before tlhIngan Hol.  But AFAIK, thlIngan Hol
>> is not based on Ford's Klingonaase, and one must say that they are
>> different conlangs, even if both purport to be the language of the
>> same people.
>
> Isn't speaking of THE language of the Klingons like speaking of THE
> language of the humans. Surely Kronos was a large enough planet to
> have more than one culture and more than one language.

I always wondered about that--and not just with language. In the
universe of Star Trek, evidently humans have come to the point
where there is one world government on Earth, but everyone still
retains some memory of the old days (i.e. the present). With all
these other worlds humans visit, it's one people, one government,
one language. Sure, various planets have their feuds and civil wars,
but there are no planets with, say, 200+ countries with thousands
of languages and different governments and cultures. Always
seemed rather convenient to me...

-David
"Sunlü eleškarez ügrallerüf üjjixelye ye oxömeyze."

-Jim Morrison

http://dedalvs.com/

LCS Member Since 2007
http://conlang.org/