Peter Bleackley wrote:
> staving Lensman:
>> I have a suggestion and I bet if we all started doing it, it would
>> catch on.

People started doing it way before I was born. Your bet
would safe. I _has_ caught on, and on and on ;)

>> My suggestion is to pronounce the word glottis and all words derived
>> from it
>> that maintain the "tt" like thus: /glɒʔɪs/ ...
>> How great would it be for *glottal stop *to be onomatopoeic? What's
>> everyone say?
>>
> To British English speakers, glo'al stops sound uneducated.

While this was certainly true in the 1950s and 1960s, I
don't think it's universally true today.

I've become more more aware since, I think the 1980s, and
certainly since the 1990s of more and more *clearly educated
speakers*, both on radio and television and among people I
meet in everyday life who use the glo'al stop as an
allophone of /t/ in medial and final positions.  Personally,
I still don't like it - but that's a prejudice of my
upbringing. I would be very surprised if none of the Brits
on this list in generations younger me did not in fact
regularly use the glo'al stop in everyday speech.

On the other hand, the glo'al stop is, I admit, more likely
than not to be heard among poorly educated Brits.  But it
will be one of several features, e.g. pronouncing /T/ as
[f]; using either _was_ (in southern England & in Wales) or
_were_ (in northern England - never really sure the Scots)
as an invariant past tense of "to be"; confusing preterite
and perfect participle forms, such as "I done it", "I seen
him yesterday", "I've wrote to him already" etc., etc.

--
Ray