On Tue, 4 May 2010 21:47:54 -0500, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Final glottal stop for /t/ does, to some extent. In my speech I think it's
mostly an allegro phenomenon, but I'm not sure.

I think it's quite common, but esp. in allegro.

>Something I've noticed within the last year or so is that I almost always
pronounce /t/ as [?] at the end of a word when the next word begins in /w j r/.

That strikes me as odd; I can have [?] before almost any C....

>Fairly frequently I notice people pronouncing /tn=/ (as in _kitten_) as
[?In] or [?1n] or maybe [?@n]. It seems to me most people who pronounce it
like that are in their late teens or early 20s, at least around here.

I'm a lot older than that, and I do it :-))))

>I actually use a syllabic n and not vowel + n, but I can't tell if the
consonant before it is [t] or [?]. When I pay attention to what my tongue's
doing as I say /tn=/, there does seem to be alveolar contact before the
glottal stop, but a) it doesn't really sound different and b) I'm not sure I
articulate it the same in nondeliberate speech.

As I think about this, I think in many cases it's a case of _unreleased [t]_
 (which I'll symbolize with " t| ") accompanied by simultaneous glottal
closure. Evidence for this is the affrication usually seen in e.g. "eat
yet?" [i?t|'sEt]. In "kitten" etc., the closures are released into the nasal
passage.  There are some cases where it's definitely a [?]-- e.g. "Fenton"
(a town in Mich.), "Clinton" etc. which in ordinary (not allegro) speech for
me and many usually come out as ['fE~?n=], ['klI~?n=] with no contact of the
tongue with the alveolum until it's time for the [n=].

I wonder if a following [@] or syllabic nasal triggers these? Note we
usually say "sitting" ['sItIN], but g-dropping  "sittin'  " ['sI?n=]

Sometimes there can be some amusing assimilations-- "Don't go!" [do~Nk|'go]
or (in Blackjack) "Hit me!" ['hI?p|mi]  (using k|, p| for unreleased, which
are very quick and barely perceptible)....