> An: [log in to unmask]
> Betreff: "Doing Fieldwork on Constructed Languages"

> Since the author is too [insert adjective here] to brag:
>
> http://specgram.com/CLIX.1/06.lehder.conlang.html
>
> - Sai

*loooooooooooooool*

> Throw Away Your DAT Recorder: Only one in every 152 thousand created
> languages is ever spoken aloud—and of those, only 2.3% are spoken by
> more than one person (i.e. the constlangoleur him- or herself) at any
> point during the language’s existence. As a result, you’ll likely not
> find any use for an audio recording device.

Sooo true! I would so have issues saying something in KHMG or JSG... OTOH, I can speak rejistanian and am understood in it at least a bit by my SO*, so I guess that is an exception (you can say what you want about its naïve phonology, it DOES have the advantage of being easy to speak at least for me).

> Date Your Work Carefully: A given constructed language may have five
> cases one day and seventeen the next. If working on a given language
> ABC, never publish an article with a title like, “Noun Case in ABC”.
> The title will likely be inaccurate the moment it’s penned. Instead,
> be sure to accurately record the date of your fieldwork, and then
> re-title an article like the previous thus: “Noun Case in ABC as of
> 10/24/2005 5:43:37 p.m. PST”.

GUILTY! Not in Rejistanian (I suspect that I could still read 2001 rejistanian texts if they still existed. What does exist are two songs, which are only slightly ungrammatical**, but not enough to no longer be understood), but JSG and KHMG seriously suffer from that disease.

Excellent article!

*significant other
** "KaMaRi'lil lasane'het dary." would have to be "KaMaRi mi'lil lasane'het dary." (KaMaRi has an excellent [sports] team.)
--
Sanja'xen mi'lanja'kynha ,mi'la'ohix jilih, nka.

My life would be easy if it was not so hard!