----- "Andrew Quïnn" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well, I know that religion and social practices often plays [or played] a
> key role in the creation of honorifics. For example, Spain used to be a
> ruthlessly Catholic country, and its period under Islam held many Christian
> influences as well. It said in the Bible to honor thy mother and father; and
> so, (thus goes my theory), parents began to make their kin refer to them
> using the "formal" or "honorific" 3rd person/2nd person form of verbs (as in
> habl*a* as opposed to habl*as*, or crey*eron *instead of cre*istes*).

My understanding was that it was a contraction of "Vuestra Merced", "Your Grace", which is why you can abbreviate Usted as "Ud" or Vd". Since "Your Grace" would invoke a third person verb, no big surprise. As to whether addressing your parents this way is a Spanish Catholic/Christian thing, I don't know, but my impression was that a certain class (I'm guessing, posh) in France at a certain time vouvoyer-ed their parents (respect/deference).

> Is there some sort of cultural belief system in Troygeum? If so, that could
> easily explain the creation of honorifics.

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Njenfalgar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Hello all,

> > I am planning to introduce honorific language into Treoygeum, which at this
> > point in its history does not have such things. Now I was wondering what
> > the
> > typical ways are for languages to develop this. Wikipedia is a great help
> > understanding *what* honorifics and the like are, but I have not yet found
> > anything explaining *how* these languages acquired this. Now I can easily
> > imagine several ways, but I'd like to have some guidance from natlangs. Can
> > anybody help there?

I can't give you the "how", but look at Japanese (which you probably already have). Women tend to use them more than men. I thought maybe it was a Shinto thing: "o-satoo" (sugar) is in but "*o-empitsu" (pencil) is not. But I don't think so. What merits an "o-" and what doesn't is mercurial to me, and when I tippy-toed around it with native speakers, I got bupkis other than traditional usage. The verb system is a little more translucent, but no "how" (perhaps hierarchy?). Good luck.

Kou