Isaac Penziev skrev:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 7:51 PM "steve rice" wrote:
>

>> 2. The gender-neutral idea is not natural for a lot of people. LFN's
>> generic "el" is a major mistake; if they had a more normal
>> system--even one like Ido's--they would likely do better. And bear in
>> mind how false a simplistic Whorfian view can be: Japanese does not
>> have gender as such, but has the society that generated and used it
>> been particularly fair to women?
>
> I'm afraid you are prejudiced here. Hungarian and Armenian (pretty
> pro-European langs) have no gender distinction, but nobody suspects
> them in mistreating women :P
Very good point. As I have suggested before different languages use
different strategies to treat gender. In some language they try to
create special feminine forms ā la "Madame la ministre" or abandoning
feminine versions of masculine nouns, like Swedish where you have
lärarinna = female teacher so the only word for both male and female
teachers is "lärare" (the masculine form). On the other hand there are
also male nurses, even if they have a feminine form in Swedish.

In some languges sometimes the feminine noun denotes a somewhat other
kind of profession than the masculine form...

Kjell R