Isaac Penziev skrev:
> On Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:44 PM, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Isaac Penziev skrev:
>>> I'm afraid you are prejudiced here. Hungarian and Armenian (pretty
>>> pro-European langs) have no gender distinction, but nobody suspects
>>> them
>>> in mistreating women :P
>>
>> Very good point. As I have suggested before different languages use
>> different strategies to treat gender. In some language they try to
>> create
>> special feminine forms à la "Madame la ministre" or abandoning feminine
>> versions of masculine nouns, like Swedish where you have lärarinna =
>> female teacher so the only word for both male and female teachers is
>> "lärare" (the masculine form). On the other hand there are also male
>> nurses, even if they have a feminine form in Swedish.
>>
>> In some languges sometimes the feminine noun denotes a somewhat other
>> kind
>> of profession than the masculine form...
>
> Exactly. Both Hungarian and Armenian have special suffixes (-nő and -uhi,
> resp.) to denote feminine noun if necessary, but plain nouns are
> genderless.
> We need to research more non-IE langs in order to understand better
> the way
> the language works.
I have a faint mamory that there was this word "tanárnő", so if there is
a need to express female any language will find means to do so.

That means that if there is a need for distinction or not of sex in a
language, the users will find means to express that, so Esperanto can do
it its way and Ideom Neutral its way. As does Swedish and a couple of
other ethnic languages.

Kjell R