Jens Wilkinson skrev:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:30 AM, steve rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> But he seems to have realized what I occasionally say: all languages (less frills) and especially all
>> auxlangs are about equal in difficulty; they just load the difficulty differently.
>>

> I don't quite agree with that. Let me give you an example of why I
> don't. I can imagine (but not design, obviously) a language that has a
> different word for each object. In other words, each apple would be
> given a proper name rather than a common name. So in order to
> communicate, the people would have to know nearly an infinite number
> of nouns. And similarly, walking would have a different word depending
> on who is doing it. This is obviously not something anybody would do
> (I can think of a notable exception, perhaps a once member of this
> list), but the fact that it could be done means that not all languages
> are equally easy. I would agree that with natural languages, it is
> generally true, so for practical purposes it probably applies pretty
> well to IALs. But just as an example, I think that the language called
> Ydyde or whatever it is, with its use of the coordinates of the
> capital city to name a country, is introducing a complication that is
> not necessary and is not "loading the difficulty differently."

You are of course right. It depends who is learning a language. If you
speak a European language Esperanto, Ido etc. are easy to learn. If you
only speak Zulu or only Chinese  provided there are good teaching
material in those languages, I think Esperanto may be difficult, but
given that most Esperanto or Ido learners have studied some Western
language, Esperanto and/or Ido are easy to them.

I used to teach Esperanto many years ago, and I realized that if one did
it the academic way one could make Esperanto very complicated.

I guess that all learners from Western influenced Eurasia  and I count
of course Russia to that area as well as North and South America can
learn Esperanto quite easily.

But people who ONLY speak Quechua might find Esperanto difficult. But as
soon as they know Spanish, and that is  as I understand  what they
will learn when learning to read, they will find Esperanto easy, given
it is presented in a good maner by someone who knows Spanish.

But if you teach Esperanto in the same way as you teach the dominant
Western in "non-Western" areas, those people would ask themselves why
the heck they would have to learn pesky languages like English...

Kjell R