On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:40 PM, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It's not exactly a commonly occurring adjective. [snip lots of historical detail]

Very interesting stuff.

Since I don't think anyone's said so recently: thanks for the
expertise, Ray. You rock.

I wonder what kinds of con-religions one might have. All those I've
seen are patterned very strongly after real-world ones. Is there
something within the conceptual space of what we would still recognize
as a religion, but which does not happen to exist currently?

I for one would be kinda disappointed if we found aliens, and it turns
out they're monotheists (or polytheists, or meditators).

(Yes, this is my usual necessary vs happenstance universals thing. Phbbt. :-P)

Relatedly, ObCL: what do y'all do in your conlangs to replace the
linguistic space that in English is almost unavoidably either theistic
or scatological? Curses, blessings, expressions of wonder or relief,
generic gratitude, faith in or undirected exhortation of positive
outcomes, etc...

- Sai