Why call this a conlang rather than a beginning of a pidgin/creole?

To me, the defining characteristic of any conlang is a very explicit
language-creative intent. That's extremely rare compared to the more
ordinary sort of organic progress - even though the latter does
involve a small amount of intentional creation (jargons, new
vocabulary, etc).

I think this raises an interesting question though: to what degree to
people in a contact pidgin explicitly think about what they're doing?
All the descriptions I've read take a fairly black-box approach to it,
and make it seem almost unconscious. But presumably at least some of
the participants are intelligent and self-reflective enough to think
of questions like "should I use my word or their word for this?"

I know several people here are actually involved in documentation of
creolizations and the like. Care to provide some insight into the
qualitative, front-line introspective aspects?

- Sai