--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Have any pidgins or creoles developed recently enough that
> linguists
> could watch it happening?

I had the feeling I'd encountered-- not a pidgin, but perhaps a "mischsprache" via an informant in Makasar, and later reading, in an isolated coastal part of northern South Sulawesi (Indonesia). It involved two related (sister or cousin) languages coming into contact when traditional people (Lang 1) from the mountainous interior began to migrate (starting 1920/30s) to the coast, settling in with Islamic speakers of Lang 2. Lang 1 people adopted Islam (at least to the extent of giving up pork and maybe dog, I'm not sure now much else really got adopted). One found random words with features from each language. It made my data from Lang 2 (the one I was really interested in) very suspect.  But limited time and distance prevented me from investigating further.

Impossible to tell how much actual choice was involved in vocab. selection, and it was hard to say which language was the more "prestigious" in that respect. Though generally I'd have to guess it would be coastal Lang. 2 (Islamic, and traders connected to the wider world).

Someone I think later studied the Lang 1 area and may have investigated further, but I haven't seen their work, unfortunately. SCHOLARS-- PLEASE PUT YOUR *$%# DISSERTATIONS AND PAPERS ON LINE !!!!