On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But on Cindu there are sheep/goat-like animals that could give milk for
> making cheese. Does lactose intolerance extend to more than cow's milk?

Yes, it extends to anything with lactose in it, which is most milks, since
they're all made with about the same metabolic pathway. Interestingly
enough, it's far from difficult to remove the lactose from cheese, and in
fact it's often done and thus many lactose intolerant people can have
cheese. A better question would be, would an alien be lactose tolerant or
intolerant? I think it would most likely be lactose indifferent, although I
suppose lactose intolerance is more likely than lactose tolerance since most
humans aren't even lactose tolerant (beyond infancy).