--- On Sat, 6/12/10, Matthew Turnbull <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > But on Cindu there are sheep/goat-like animals that
> could give milk for
> > making cheese. Does lactose intolerance extend to more
> than cow's milk?
> >

> Yes, it extends to anything with lactose in it, which is
> most milks, since
> they're all made with about the same metabolic pathway.
> Interestingly
> enough, it's far from difficult to remove the lactose from
> cheese, and in
> fact it's often done and thus many lactose intolerant
> people can have
> cheese. A better question would be, would an alien be
> lactose tolerant or
> intolerant? I think it would most likely be lactose
> indifferent, although I
> suppose lactose intolerance is more likely than lactose
> tolerance since most
> humans aren't even lactose tolerant (beyond infancy).

Aha, thanks, I did not know that. But I suspect the people of Cindu would likely prove to be lactose intolerant-- aside from mother's milk, they simply have no access to any other kind. Plus, the Kash have evolved from a "great cat" species, the Gwr from a "simian". They might have tried lopa milk, but probably found it unpalatable and not worth bothering with. In any case, those animals are raised for meat, wool, hides. Perhaps the bones are useful too?

Eggs are also missing from their diet :-((