On Jun 8, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Garth Wallace wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +/- cyclictical world (the world will end / there is no end, only
>>> a cycle)
>>
>> This one has always amused me. (I think I proposed a past-and-future
>> vs present tense system a long while ago; it would work well together
>> with this.)
>
> You know, I'm not sure that any natlangs use a binary
> present/nonpresent tense distinction, but it doesn't seem unreasonable
> even without a cultural belief in cyclic time. I could see a
> realis/irrealis distinction evolving into it...

I don't know about natlangs, but ObConlang, I've chosen to implement
something of the sort in one of my projects. There is realis/irrealis
distinction, with the realis referring to the present time, as well
as the accessible (immediate) past and future, and the irrealis
referring to the inaccessible past, future, and hypothetical.