Den 10. jun. 2010 kl. 13.05 skreiv Sai Emrys:

> I wonder what kinds of con-religions one might have. All those I've
> seen are patterned very strongly after real-world ones. Is there
> something within the conceptual space of what we would still recognize
> as a religion, but which does not happen to exist currently?
>
> I for one would be kinda disappointed if we found aliens, and it turns
> out they're monotheists (or polytheists, or meditators).

Well, religion is something that seems to be typically human, and
personally I wouldn't expect it in an alien race. Consider the other
intelligent and communicating species we have on this planet, like
the higher apes, whales and octopuses. Do they show any sign of
religious activity? That depends how you define religion, of course.
But humans are so symbol-orientated in their communication that they
need one or more symbols to represent themselves and their hopes
against nature. Will any species that develop highly symbolic
communication also develop this trend, or is it just a human freak?
And must communication be highly symbolic in order to develop an
advanced civilisation? Real telepaths could possibly do without it,
for example.

It's hard to conceive of a planet with a more benign and stable
environment than this one, but it is possible, perhaps. Inhabitants
of such a place would probably never develop the need to seek
supernatural aid against their nature. Probably they would have a
moderate reproduction rate as well, and so would always have plenty
of resources.

Less benign and/or stable environments would perhaps induce a need to
seek supernatural aid at some stage, but if a civilisation develops
and the aliens learn to help themselves, will they still seek
supernatural aid? That depends on their psychological makeup and the
amount of trouble they tend to make for each other, perhaps.

Humans do seem to have explored just about any religious idea
conceivable, so it would be hard to come up with any con-religion
that isn't patterned strongly after ours. But of course our character
does have some peculiar traits which aren't necessarily copied by
every other intelligent species. Life is sacred to any terrestrial
species for example, not only your own life, but often the lives of
others as well, like offspring, mating companions and/or tribal
comrades. Yet there are human sects that revere death, so the
sacredness of life isn't necessarily universal.

Life on this planet occurs and acts sometimes as individuals and
sometimes as flocks. Humans have a mixed tendency, but there are
other species that lean more to the flock side or more to the
individual side, and this will influence any religion they develop.
Here, too it seems to me that human religions have covered much of
the territory, but it could be possible for an alien religion to be
more extremely individualistic or collectivist than any human
religion or sect.

Training the young to become civilised individuals is an important
aspect of the current major religions on Earth. Instincts provide
more or less guidance to various species for conduct in all of life's
more or less difficult situations, and many species augment them by
sharing accumulated information with their young. Human instincts too
are strong, but our civilisation has developed too fast for the
instincts to keep track and thus they tend to cause a lot of trouble
for our societies instead of guiding us. Hence we developed conduct
rules with very strong punishments for breaking them. Still they
don't work, and possibly aliens more or less intelligent than us have
developed other means for guidance, either by channeling instinctive
forces towards more constructive paths, or more or less selectively
suppressing them, or perhaps their civilisations have developed more
slowly and/or more in concert with their instinctive natures.

Just some thoughts, I think it's an interesting discussion.

LEF